Saturday, October 31, 2009

"Was it a Ghost of the future?" - the red-haired girl behind the screen


I love this little entry in Maud's journal and I've always wanted to post it. By chance, I landed on it this morning as I was scanning through Journal V-- so I deeked it appropriate to post it here today on All Hallow's Eve.

Wednesday, June 24, 1936
"I felt worried and nervous all day....

Twelve o'clock
"I have just had a very peculiar experience! I was lying in bed, having just laid down my book for a moment. The light was on. Ewan was reading beside me. I was not asleep. Suddenly around the screen that stood across the door came a young girl and sat down on the edge of my bed, and bent forward with a smile, opening her lips to speak. She was pretty, fresh-colored with red hair. When she first appeared around the screen I thought it must be Ethel and wondered had she gone crazy to come into our room like that. Then I realized it was not Ethel but someone I had never seen and in my amazement I cried out--and she was gone! I sprang up, crying out "Who was that? Who was here just now?" Ewan said nobody had been here.

Well, I saw her. That is all I can say. I remember distinctly what she looked like. And I am convinced she was on the point of telling me something when I cried out. What would she have told me? I shall never know.

I feel rather strange. It has been an uncanny experience....."

The Selected Journals of LM Montgomery, Rubio & Waterston, Vol V. pp. 73 -74



No comments: