Saturday, June 19, 2010

Crimes of the Heart


"Yes; it was a crime to marry you. I have paid for it."
Irene Forsyte to Soames Forsyte, "The Forsyte Saga",  John Galsworthy

There is a strange feeling of sadness that has been falling on me as I am preparing for our trip to PEI in July. It seems as if Maud comes to me, and then I feel her intense love of the Island.  It is her marriage, and her disappointment over it that is getting to me. As I am shopping for my traveling clothes I begin to think of Maud's great attention to detail in the choosing of her honeymoon trousseau. Anyway, it all went so bad over time. It makes me sad.

Maud
" I had been feeling contented all morning.  I had gone through the ceremony and the congratulations unflustered and unregretful.  And now, when it was all over and I found myself sitting there by my husband's side-my husband!--I felt a sudden horrible inrush of rebellion and despair. I wanted to be free!  I felt like a prisoner--a hopeless prisoner.  Something in me--something wild and free and untamed--something that Ewan had not tamed--could never tame--something that did not acknowledge him as master--rose up in one frantic protest against the fetters which bound me.  At that moment if I could have torn the wedding ring from my finger and so freed myself I would have done it!  But it was too late--and the realization that it was too late fell over me like a black cloud of wretchedness. I sat at that gay bridal feast, in my white veil and orange blossoms, beside the man I had married--and I was as unhappy as I had ever been in my life."

 The Selected Journals of LM Montgomery - Vol I, p 68, Rubio & Waterston
_______________________________________________________________________

"Oh! Jolyon, yes.  He's in love, I feel he's in love.  And he'd say:  'My mother once married without love!  How could she have!'  It'll seem to him a crime!  And so it was!"
Irene Forsyte - "The Forsyte Saga", John Galsworthy

The Forsyte Saga - Granada Television 2002

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice to know you, and glad to find such a good artical!.................................................................