Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Going home....


"...it was silly, anyhow, to feel as he did about the place. But  why had he always felt so strongly the magnetic pull of home, why had he thought so much about it and remembered it with such blazing accuracy, if it did not matter, and if this little town, and the immortal hills around it, was not the only home he had on earth?"    

 Thomas Wolfe,
 You Can't Go Home Again
                     Asheville, North Carolina   

Maud:
Cavendish trip, 1913

..."Voices were calling to me that could not be resisted--voices of the past, fraught with all the past's enchantment.  They summoned me imperiously and I obeyed the summons.  I slipped out into the darkness of the summer evening and went to find the lost years....
  ...In the dim, still, eerie twilight I slipped down the hill, over the bridge across the brook and up the dark path under the spruces.  It was the old way home.  I found the little gate in the fence and went through.... 
....Yes, there it was.  In the fading gray light I could see the old gray house hooded in shadows--I could see the little window of my old room--
.....I wept bitterly...."

The Selected Journals of LM Montgomery, p. 126, Rubio & Waterston



"… for once seen, and list the moment that he sees it, it is his forever and he can never forget it. And then the slow toiling train has passed these lives and faces and is gone, and there is something in his heart he cannot say."

Thomas Wolfe, Of Time and the River  

No comments: