Monday, August 16, 2010

"...with dignity and aplomb!!"

Staffordshire Dogs seen at Bridgeton Antique Mall, Bridgeton, NC on August 14, 2010  

Sunday, August 27, 1911
York, England

"I have been pursuing China dogs all over England and Scotland!  When I was a little girl, visiting at Grandfather Montgomery's, I think the thing that most enthralled me was a pair of china dogs which always sat on the sitting room mantel piece....

I have always hankered to possess a pair of similar dogs and as those had been purchased in London I hoped when I came over I would find something like them.  Accordingly, I have haunted the antique shops in every place I have been, but, until yesterday without success.  Dogs to be sure there were in plenty, but not the dogs of my quest.  There was an abundance of dogs with black spots and some few dogs with red spots, but nowhere the aristocratic dogs with green spots.  I had about given up in despair.  But, yesterday in a little antique shop near the Minster I found two pairs of lovely dogs--and bought them on the spot, lest they be enchanted dogs which would vanish forever if I made them not mine immediately.  To be sure, they had no green spots.  The race of dogs with green spots seem to have become extinct.  But one pair of them had lovely gold spots and were much larger than the Park Corner dogs....I hope thy will preside over my hearth with due dignity and aplomb."        The Selected Journals of LM Montgomery, Vol I, p. 76, Rubio & Waterston     

No comments: