Thursday, August 5, 2010

Photo of Parlor at Park Corner

Parlor in Park Corner

I am speaking as a tourist on this matter--not as a scholar!! My understanding is that this is a photo of the parlor in Park Corner and that the photo was taken by Maud of the room where she got married. There is a black and white of this photo appearing somewhere in the Selected Journals, but right now, I don't know where or which one.


There is also a labeled sign at Park Corner on the wall that states that Maud's son Chester and Ida Birell (Chester's second wife) spent their honeymoon at Park Corner in 1943. I find this odd on several accounts, not the least being that Maud was very uncomfortable with the idea of Chester and Ida getting together. However, suffice it to say  that this marriage is one more case in point where a status change to marriage can become less complicated when a third party is no longer standing in the way. (ie Maud and her Grandmother).

This is sad to me.

No comments: