Sunday, August 1, 2010

"...an odd little psychological incident."

Charlottetown

The following passage from Vol I, p. 19, of Selected Journals of LMM  (Rubio & Waterston) keeps coming in to my mind, so I thought it best to go ahead and write it out.

Here Maud is talking about a dream experience and  the way she expresses her thoughts about it seems similar to my dream experiences and to the way I recently expressed so in my blog post, "The Race that Knows Joseph".

Here is Maud's version....

"Now comes an odd little psychological incident.  I was almost asleep--in that dreamy state between sleeping and waking, when suddenly a thought flashed vividly into my brain, exactly as if a voice had spoken it to me---"Go to Boston", I sat up, wide-awake, tingling all over with some strange electric inrush of energy and determination.  In a few moments the whole plan unrolled itself before me like a scroll or picture."

Here below is my similar way of expressing it.  Curiously, when I ask other folks if they have similar dream experiences, their reply is most often, "I don't remember my dreams."  I wonder what this means--if anything!

"Well, this morning, in my first waking moments as often happens to me, I had a dream, or rather a sort of vision, like a movie short. It went like this...." (that's it, just the way she described her experience, not the dream itself, but nevertheless, I see similarities.)

No comments: