Saturday, September 18, 2010

Costume Era Correction - Faux Pas!!


New Bern, North Carolina - USA @ 1864


Charlottetown, PEI , Canada @ 1864
  One of my very trustworthy Island Canadian friends has corrected me in my assertion for the blog post on September 6th.  It seems that I am about a 100 years off in my costume comparison.  She states it as thus:

"your reenactors pix - the New Bern ones are in garb that was  fashionable in the 1700s, the Fathers and Mothers of Confederation are in the top 1864 style!"

I stand corrected. 

Here are some photos from my archives of the 1860's period in the Southern United States (specifically North Carolina). This period was the time of the Civil War aka: The War Between the States aka: The War of Northern Aggression 

Notice the similarities in the white Peter Pan collars, the pins at the neck, the ric rac trimmed skirts, the gloves, the waists, the sleeves, etc, etc.  The difference (again) being in the headware.   I suppose because of the heat of the sun, we had to wear the brimmed hats (not that they didn't in Canada, we'll have to wait and see what my trustworthy Canadian friend has to say about it!)

No comments: