Thursday, September 23, 2010

Maud doesn't like the deepness..

Morning in New Bern, NC

(I find the following interesting given the fact that Maud was constantly trying to analyze Ewan by reading Psychology books.  I wonder if she ever asked him what was bothering him so badly???  Is the following our evidence of Maud's view of life through rose colored glasses?  I wonder...very interesting comment from Maud.)  

Friday, July 10, 1931
Norval, Ont

...I have been re-reading Macaulay's Life by Trevelyan.  I read it first that winter in Prince Albert. Found it delightful then and found it just as delightful still.  But most of its charm is due to Macaulay's letters.  One criticism the writer of the introduction makes is that Macaulay's letters show nothing profound in his nature.  Very likely.  Very likely--nay, almost certainly--had they been profound they would not have been delightful.  The ocean depths are profound--but I prefer a sunlit meadow for my strolling.  Anyhow, I should like to have got letter from Macaulay.  

The Selected Journals of LM Montgomery, Rubio & Waterston, Vol IV, p 139 

No comments: