Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Maud's Memories of Home

Macneill Homestead Cavendish, PEI
Saturday, July 11, 1931

"...The mention of cheese wakens another memory.  It is evening.  Grandmother and Grandfather are adjusting the cheese hoop under the press.  I am standing by watching them and drinking in the loveliness around me.  June was walking over the fields.  The sun had just set and I saw that loveliest of all created things--a young moon in an amber evening sky.

And the lambs were playing in the pasture field by the house.

Do lambs play like that now?  I suppose they do, only I never have a chance to see them.  But what gorgeous times those lambs did have at their evening games while their placid old mothers nibbled on around them.  In a drove thy tore from one end of the field and back again, the noise of their small hoofs like mild thunder.  They would run those races until dark fell--seemingly just for the joy of running.  I never saw such happy creatures."    

The Selected Journals of LM Montgomery, Rubio & Waterston, Vol. IV p 141 

No comments: