Saturday, July 24, 2010

Ewan or Ewen? Maud's grave and headstone

Herein lies a mystery:

why the different spellings of Ewan's name on the Macdonald grave marker?-- Ewan & Ewen.

I don't get it-- if the first spelling was wrong, then why not pull the marker up and do it right?

For some unknown reason Maud preferred the wrong spelling of Ewan's name when she wrote it.  Why is it that the wrong spelling is being corrected on the grave marker, and this for all the world to see?

 It's confusing...

The wish for her own separate grave marker (as she stated it in her Journal) has not been carried through.  It is possible that she never clearly pronounced her wish to her family-- only to her Journal. She must have been terribly out of sync with the people around her.  Did she expect that her wishes would not be carried out anyway?

"Well, I hope when I die my sons will not grudge me a gravestone of my own!"
 The Selected Journals of LM Montgomery, Vol V, p. 102, Rubio & Waterston
Also, the graveyard has been heavily polluted with the noise of traffic at the stoplight and the gas station across the street.  It is very unsettling. What can you do?

Herman Leard's grave site at Bedeque reveals a certain poignancy. I observed it as thus: that his resting place is exactly as I would have hoped that Maud's own resting spot could be. The Bedeque Cemetery across the street from the Baptist Church is situated on a grassy knoll where the sea breeze is free to flow.  There is a shade and a quiet there.  Where would fate have carried them if Maud had married Herman instead of Ewan?

As we were leaving out on the Highway from Cavendish and passing by the cemetery, one of my traveling companions called out to me, "There is a crow sitting on Maud's gravestone!"  It just so happens that one of the features of my personal photographic style is to capture the image of birds as they perch on the monuments in our local cemetery.  The crow perched on Maud's grave as we were leaving Cavendish seemed to be a supernatural symbol of saying good-bye.  Why did I not turn the car around???


(Below, birds and monuments I have photographed at home)

No comments: