Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Star Gazing at Green Gables


Kitchen Window at Green Gables, PEI

Cavendish, Thursday, July 15th, 2010--

On Thursday, we did the Tourist tour of Green Gables National Park. After supper at Chez Yvonne's, we stepped out into a twinkling moment of waiting sunset at Cavendish Shore. Upon the sinking of orange sun deep into the Western sky, we found that the rest of the night fared well for an undertaking of momentous import.  So, we scrounged up some courage and a flashlight. There was a moment to be seized for Spirit hunting. With some mild trepidation, we stepped into the path that led behind Kindred Spirits Inn and crossed over the Golf Link in to Green Gables. No Spirits were in evidence there but we did find a canopy of spraying stars hanging over the spot like a soft benediction. Perhaps there was a Spirit there, after all!!

We walked through the back yard and went home.

Later that night, I found this Journal Entry written by Maud where 100 years before me she is talking of a starlit night in Cavendish! I find it very strange that Maud would have walked for three miles in the dark night on the Island. She obviously felt no fear of snakes (there are only garter snakes, I found out) or Bogey Men on her Island.

Friday, February 10, 1910--
Cavendish, PEI

(Maud has taken a walk to visit her friend, Amanda Macneill Roberston, in Mayfield 3 miles away!!)

"The only pleasure of the outing came when I was walking home alone with my good friends the stars.  I also had the delight of seeing for the first time the mysterious, phantom-like Zodiacal Light....
....I never took up anything (astronomy) that gained such a hold on me or that gave me such strange, eerie, unearthly pleasure--the most purely spiritual pleasure I have ever known since there is indeed nothing of earth about it."
The Selected Journals of LM Montgomery, Vol, I p. 3, Rubio & Waterston

PS, there are no deer or moose on the Island, but we did see lots of foxes!!!

Peering down the hill at Green Gables, PEI

No comments: