Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Maud on Charlottetown, boat trains, Victoria Hotel


Saturday Noon, June 22, 1918
Victoria Hotel
Charlottetown, PE Island

Glory be, here we are.  Last night we reached Sackville, three hours late.  I had been worried lest the boat train wouldn't wait for us, but it did.  We had a most tedious ride to Tormentine in the dark.  This was the first time I had travelled over the new car-ferry route.  Perhaps I shall like it when I get used to it but I found it horrible last night.  There seemed to be no end to the shifts and changes, and with a heavy grip and two tired children these were not exhilarating.  And amid all the men around me not one ever offered to carry that grip for me or lift a child.  ....It was past three when we finally got to bed at the hotel...
....Today was fine and distinctly cool.  The Island flavor is excellent.  But I feel very much like a stranger in Ch'town now.  It does not seem to be the town of my girlhood in any respect.  I took a walk round "The Square" and tried to "think myself back" but couldn't."
The Selected Journals of LM Montgomery, Vol I, p 248, Rubio & Waterston 


The nice coffee shop lady at University of Prince Edward Island was telling us about how the train was taken off the Island in the old days.  It was hard to comprehend, but evidently, the train was placed on a ferry and taken to the Mainland.  This must be what Maud is referring to in the above reference to the "boat train". 

I cannot find anything on the internet referring to "Victoria Hotel."  However, during my visit there,  I did see a pretty brick edifice nested deep in Historic Charlottetown that seemed to be of the period, and it looked to be a very nice Bed & Breakfast.  The signage called it "Victoria..."  but I cannot find anything about it on the Net, so I don't know if that edifice would be the"Victoria Hotel" from Maud's time.  I doubt it, most likely the hotel having been in downtown Charlottetown and gone now or with a new identity. 

Also, I can certainly relate to the above passage where Maud speaks of carrying the heavy grip and "no end to shifts and changes". 
I think she was saying that she was a weary traveler!!   Glory be!


No comments: