Thursday, July 22, 2010

The 14th Colony and Halifax


One of three boarding homes where Maud resided during her short sojourn in Halifax--
Maud's room is located on the right hand side of the building.

I fell in love with Halifax!!

This city, on a grander scale, reminds me very much of my own hometown in North Carolina.  Halifax is a seaport city with an expansive scope of North American History. It retains many interesting caches of period flavor and ambiance. Oscar Wilde, during his Canadian Tour in the 1880's,  made a stop in Halifax at the Waverly Inn on Barrington Street.  Wilde's "ghost" has been purported to show up at the Inn on occasions.  Was he also so enamored of the city?  I like what Wilde is quoted as saying in 1882 as he was passing through US Customs to embark on his US-Canadian tour:

"I have nothing to declare but my genius."

I wish I had thought of saying that!!


The Waverly Inn - Barrington Street, Halifax, NS

Oscar Wilde, author of "The Importance of Being Ernest"-statue in Dublin

Graveyard in historic Halifax
   

1 comment:

Laurie said...

jj and I stayed at the Waverly Inn in Halifax and it was wonderful...very cushy and posh. The antiques were awesome. I just wish I could've been there in SNOW! :)